Friday, February 22, 2013

There and Back Again!

Soon after Austin and I got married we decided to read The Hobbit together.  Austin is a big Tolkien fan and somewhat of a nerd when it comes to the history of elves and Middle Earth.  He's read the entire works of Tolkien some 13 times now and is probably overqualified to teach a Tolkien class at any community college.  Wanting to share his love for Tolkien with me, he convinced me to embark on an epic journey through The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, and most recently - The Silmarillion.  Needless to say, I believe I have now had enough exposure to consider myself a true Tolkien fan.  His ability to create a world complete with a thorough history, epic stories, and rich cultures is simply astounding.  It is amazing to me that Tolkien could create something so inexplicably beautiful.  Every night after scripture study Austin and I escape to Middle Earth.  It will be a sad day when we finish The Silmarillion.  My life will feel so empty without Tolkien, I guess we'll have to move on to Sherlock Holmes or some other fantastic work of literature.

lotr.jpg (JPEG Image, 1600 × 1200 pixels) - Scaled (53%)https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiI266-CQLzMWEfiJIXyNGjhfCZr7T2-yM9HAiViOZVSrlrlWEiYmMu9dGeSIBcloJJKNh5xuU_gVTtz9R3XENPP840jIGBAVL-DfuimnrrfnReVgFaaIuLA79p1czR_bRJ-5qU803X7Lk/s1600/lotr.jpg
Austin got "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy on bluray for Christmas this year.  To celebrate after we finished reading the books together, we decided to watch the show and be nerds by dressing up as Frodo and Arwyn.  Lydia got to be "the first of strawberries and cream" (her costume also happened to be pjs and it was her bedtime).


Oh dear, ya know the blade glows blue when orcs are close!

No comments:

Post a Comment